A lot of people may not know this but an orthodontist is actually a dentist. The difference is that the orthodontist specializes in diagnosing, preventing and treating irregularities of the teeth and face. Teeth can make or break a person’s appearance. Your teeth help you in speaking clearly and chewing your food properly. Without them, talking and chewing would be difficult. “Bad” bite, otherwise known as a malocclusion and other irregularities can easily be treated with the use of orthodontic appliances.
There are two main types of such appliances: the fixed type under which the braces fall, and the removable type. Braces are affixed firmly to the teeth whereas the removable types can be taken in and taken out by the patient. These devices are of great help in straightening the teeth, correcting an irregular bite, closing unsightly gaps, and bringing teeth and lips into proper alignment. Buckteeth in young children should undergo treatment at Orthodontist Spokane in order to guide the growth of their jaws and growth eruption of permanent tooth.
You may be wondering how important orthodontic care is for people with bad bites. Whether important or not, seeking orthodontic care is one’s personal decision. Most people can live with crowding, overbites or other types of bite problems and don’t need treatment. Nonetheless, with properly aligned and attractive teeth, you can be sure to feel more comfortable. You’ll gain self-confidence and be proud to show your best smile to whoever you meet and speak with. Orthodontic care can enhance your appearance. Moreover, it also helps you to chew better or speak more clearly after your teeth are restored to normal.
Apart from being just cosmetic in nature orthodontic care can give you long- term dental health benefit. You can easily brush and floss your teeth if they are aligned, thus reducing the risk of tooth decay and gingivitis, an inflammation of the gums. When left untreated, gingivitis can lead to periodontitis. This gum disease destroys bone that surrounds your teeth and leads to tooth loss.
So, if you want to keep your teeth in tip-top shape aside from maintaining its pearly whiteness, Orthodontist Spokane suggests these practical guides:
- Avoid colored or drinks or beverages. They stain your teeth and keep them off-white. If you can’t avoid taking dark, brush your teeth immediately. Ask your dentist if you want to use a bleaching agent. Or better yet, munch an apple for a convenient way of cleaning your teeth. Other natural agents known to cleanse teeth include carrots, celery, and popcorn.
- Change toothbrush every 2 or 3 months as bacteria may thrive on aged toothbrush. Discard long-used toothbrush.
- Cleaning your tongue daily with a tongue scraper rather than a toothbrush removes plaque that accumulates on your tongue. Bacteria buildup on plaque causes bad breath. So do this every day to freshen up your breath.
- Brush your teeth as soon as you rise up and before getting to bed. The long hours of sleep can dry up your saliva. Dryness can cause bacteria buildup on plaque. Brushing in the morning kills bacteria that may have built up as you slept, and removes bad breath.
- Other toothpaste substitutes that have whitening power are apple cider and baking soda. Should you need a mouth wash, choose the one that’s alcohol- free. Also, try to make a habit of flossing your teeth whenever and wherever you can.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for your dental needs. We promise to protect that healthy smile by keeping your teeth and gums in the best of health.